Saturday, June 12, 2010

"Welcome to Texas honey!"


Things have been good here in the M household, however prayers are always welcome! As most of you have heard already (perhaps by my loud shrieking thousands of miles away) we encountered our first scorpion. In our HOUSE!!! Sitting next to my 6 YEAR OLD while he was playing. Thank God for my husband who rescued us all, placing him (the scorpion) in a jar and taking him off to work for show and tell (oooh!!).

Anyway, thinking that the worst of the day was behind us, I decided to clean. I lifted up a toy basket sitting next to the couch and ... a giant spider was hiding under it!! Ok ... I think I can handle a spider. So, I run to the kitchen, grab a jar (just as my husband did) and intending to trap the spider, I missed ... slightly. Instead of capturing Ms. Spider, I impaled Ms. Spider and in doing so, the 50 million spiderlings on her back scattered. Across my entire living room floor. Imagine my horror!! They are tiny little buggers, slightly larger than mites and once gone into my carpet ... lost forever. Until some future night when I feel a whisper on my neck or leg.

The scene was straight out of a National Geographic show. I screamed first. Took a breath. Screamed some more and more. I jumped onto the fireplace and called my husband (still screaming). His response ... laughter, along with "Welcome to Texas honey." I said (screaming some more) "I want to go home!!!"

I grabbed a bottle of organic bug killer (really wishing we had something way more toxic) and sprayed. The carpet, the couch, everything. I proceeded to climb on the kitchen counter, my babies in tow, and called a carpet cleaner. They arrived in 30 minutes and yes, we stayed on the counter that whole time. I was not going outside where there are even more bugs! Then I called a maid. Don't get me wrong, my house is very clean, but I am not taking any chances!! The exterminator has been scheduled and comes on Monday. Until then, every time I feel a hair or anything on my leg, I scream ... loudly! And my husband chuckles! Oh, the blessing in it all? My children were quite calm and obedient. Perhaps they realized I had passed into the land of 'crazy' and were afraid of where else I might go.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! What an adventure or should I say exciting "ordeal"?
    You screaming & jumping on the fireplace & counters reminds me of the time Melanie came home for a Christmas visit. We had mice & I thought we had caught them all. One was left in her bedroom & she saw it flip from one shelf to another in her closet. She screamed, I ran in & jumped on the bed & your Dad - well, he laughed!

    ReplyDelete