Sunday, July 11, 2010

My cooking philosophy these days ... Easy!

With the weather being so hot here and being the mother of two very active boys, my motto for cooking is "keep it simple!"  A few posts ago, I listed just a few of our slow-cooker favorites (trust me, I have more), but we also enjoy using the grill to keep the heat out of the kitchen.  I have discovered foil packets!  I know ... nothing new here, but sometimes we all need a reminder of how easy dinner can be!

The great thing about foil packets:
1. You can cook just about anything in them - meat and vegie combos, just the vegies, or just the meat
2. Easy clean up - no pan!!!
3. Prepare ahead of time by keeping in the fridge.  Just pull them out while the grill is heating
4. Picky kids can build their own, as well as house guests.  Great for entertaining!
5. The fun of opening a hot foil packet full of steamy, healthy goodness.
6. You do not need new recipes - your own, existing recipes work great!
7. Great way to use up the leftovers (that half bell pepper, that extra uncooked chicken)
8. Great for camping! Prepare before you leave home, place in a cooler and when ready, place on hot coals

Tonight, we are having Salmon with Lemon and Dill, salt and pepper, and a tiny drizzle of EVOO.  I am tossing in some quick-cook brown rice, zucchini and red onion.  Fold up and dinner is done!

We have also done foil packets with Meatloaf. Just assemble your favorite recipe, form small patties (not too thick), top with a few thin slices of potatoes, carrots or whatever you have ... and dinner is done!

How about Turkey Burgers? I mix 1 lb ground turkey, 1 cup shredded mozzarella, couple tablespoons dehydrated onion (or fresh onion if I have it), 1 tsp seasoned salt, garlic powder, fresh pepper.  Mix gently, then form 4 small patties. Spray the foil squares w/ olive oil or Pam, place patty on foil and top with potato slices, carrots, season with a little more salt and pepper, seal and grill for 20 minutes.

A great website for more ideas and tips is
http://www.bettycrocker.com/search/searchresults?sr=2&term=foil%20packets

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment