Well, many of you have been talking to me about using coconut oil and alas, I finally tried it! Today, I made my own sugar scrub using 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup coconut oil. It smells fantastic! I have done some research and coconut oil is a superior moisturizer and has amazing health benefits when applied either topically or ingested. It helps with acne, rashes, dry skin etc ... and you will not end up greasy either. Your skin absorbs the oil easily; it is high in antioxidants and medium chain fatty acids as well. It kills bacteria associated with staph, strep, acne etc. My skin smells fantastic and feels fantastic. For anyone looking for a great, inexpensive gift idea, I highly suggest you make up a batch to give away (double the recipe so you have one too). I put my batch in an empty glass jar and since I don't sew, I placed a fluffy white sock around the jar so that it looks pretty and won't break or slip in the shower. I started applying it to Noah's skin today. He has suffered from a very acute attack of hives (we were in the ER this week). The rash can break-out and cover his entire body, inside his throat, ears, etc. He is under heavy medication with antihistamines (Zyrtec 2x daily and Benadryl at night), H2 blockers and Singular. He is in a bit of a fog sometimes. Please pray for his recovery and perhaps that this coconut oil might help as a natural alternative to the medicines.
I also did some baking with coconut oil today. I made 2 types of bread - a maple oatmeal bread (very pretty) and a loaf bread. I used freshly milled flour and coconut oil in place of regular oil. Both loaves tasted great! Here is a link to the Oatmeal Maple Bread - http://stolenmomentscooking.com/maple-oat-bread/
Because of the oatmeal and whole wheat flour ingredients, the bread is a little dense. It looks kind of like a cake, but is not as sweet, has a mild maple flavor, and was great w/ fresh butter. In my next post, I will share some other great bread recipes that I use often, as well as some great muffin recipes. If anyone has a recipe they would like to share, please do! You can add it to any comment section and I will be happy to post it!
If you are interested in reading more about coconut oil, I would recommend either Dr. Mercola's web site
or a terrific book called The Coconut Oil Miracle.
Dr. Mercola
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2001/03/24/coconut-oil-part-one.aspx
The Coconut Oil Miracle
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158333204/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0YXBV9GYWEZQZ3SFAVM0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

No comments:
Post a Comment